Monday, March 08, 2010

Can "Cloud" Computing Meet the Needs of Power Users?

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has now committed his company's future to so-called "cloud" computing, a movement that makes plenty of sense for enterprise in the 21st century. No doubt, cloud computing technology will spread quickly in support of nascent consumer demand. On the other hand, comments such as the following by John Dvorak of PC Magazine remind me that there are constraints in cloud computing that power users should consider before moving away from their current software and systems. Dvorak is scathing in his current evaluation:
The cloud stinks. Its applications have always been much slower than their desktop counterparts. Try to get to the end cell of a large cloud-based spreadsheet. You'll long for the desktop version. The whole process is exacerbated by the speed of the Internet. The Internet is also unreliable. A couple of weeks ago, I was down for two hours. A month ago, I lost my connection for 20-plus hours.
I consider myself to be an Excel (Microsoft) power user. In a few months, I will be installing the new 64-bit version of Excel 2010 onto my Intel Core i5 powered 64-bit computer system. It is doubtful that I will be moving quickly to adopt cloud-based spreadsheet solutions, and certainly not before I confirm that the new systems can reliably and efficiently meet my needs, in detail. For now, that's my stand...

Source: PC Magazine

2 comments:

Ed Graham said...

Based on your user experience requirements, perhaps the cloud is not the best alternative platform. I don't see the cloud as necessarily as a new technology platform, rather a new purchasing paradigm. However, it is imperative that organizations clearly understand their users requirements before virtualizing their desktops in the cloud.

irae said...

PLease attribute the image to the original source image either:
http://infreemation.net/cloud-computing-linear-utility-or-complex-ecosystem/
or
http://www.bitcurrent.com/future-of-computing-forecast-calls-for-partly-cloudy/

THanks!

Ian

Post a Comment